Sunday, July 18, 2010

Scofield... One to remember!!!

Scofield will go down as one of the most memorable Triathlon events. Here's why....

10) Weather- The weather was great! It started out over-cast but the temperature was perfect!
09) Camping- Who doesn't love camping?! A little more work but worth it.
08) Friends- It's always nice to spend time with friends.
07) Bike- I had a great bike time. I never checked the course out so I took it easy and ended up in the top 5 bike times!
06) Scofield Lake- What a great get away.
05) BBSC- You can always count on them to hold a great event. Food and great finisher medals.
04) Swim- Had my best swim.
03) Photo finish- Dead sprint to the finish explained below...
02) 3rd place in Age group Division and 6th overall
01) Family!- Need I explain. Had a great camping trip with my brother Ryan, sister Kelly, my nieces and nephew, Mom and Dad, and my great and loving wife Courtney. I love my family.

So the Scofield trip started off with me showing up at 3pm to set up my campsite. Scofield is about 2hrs away from Salt Lake City. My brother and sister were coming up from St. George so they were a little late due to work. After setting up my site, I went to the registration and socialized with some of my friends I have met over the last few triathlons and ate some great pasta. The Scofield Tri has four events, Sprint, Olympic, Escape, and kids. The sprint and Olympic are the standard distances but the Escape is more like a Half Ironman... Well a lot harder. You start out on an island and swim 1.7 miles to the port, then you bike 40 miles but up a mountain!!! It's crazy hard bike ride. (Not that I would know... I only drove it but it looks crazy hard) then you top it off with a 10 mile run. Next year???

Now let me tell you about my photo finish. I am now under 200 lbs so no more racing in the Clydesdale division. So this was my first race in my age group and I have some tough compitition. My friend and coach Ryan Meyers is in my age group and is also a great triathlete. The swim and the bike I had a small lead on him. I knew he was behind me but I was worried about the run because he is a really good runner and my run needs a lot of work. With about 100 yards left, we were neck and neck and we sprinted to the end. One of the hardest things I have ever done. I didn't know who won because we crossed at the exact same time. We both puked!!! When I checked the results he had beat me by a tenth of a second!!! Yes, I lost but it was still so fun to have such a great finish and Ryan Meyers is a great athlete. This is the reason why every second counts and doing the little things add up!
Ps- My brother and Sister dominated the compitition and got 1st in there division.











No comments: